I'm still playing with the leftover polka dot rectangles (2.5 x 4.5).
Here you can see my "test" for the second baby/toddler quilt with a layout inspired by a vintage utility quilt. The bottom group shows four rectangles sewn together. The middle group shows trimmed 2.5" segments and the upper group shows trimmed 1.5" segments.
Time will tell if I stick to the inspiration quilt's layout that uses only 2.5" segments (resulting in a baby/toddler size) or whether I incorporate both the 2.5" and 1.5" which would yield a slightly larger quilt.
The rest of the leftover rectangles (in the shoebox) are paired and pinned ready to be stitched together and then paired a second time to create the 4-rectangle sets.
Originally I planned to use these as leader-enders but now I'm thinking I will just go ahead and get them sewn together and laid out (once a design wall is clear).
Either way, I have named this quilt Ohana (meaning family).
Once Ohana becomes a quilt top, I'll pull out the project box holding the extra polka dot HSTs from the making of Gone Dotty. These are ready to be laid out and sewn into a quilt top that I'm calling Spots and Dots.
I really want to get all of the polka dot projects to flimsy stage now instead of putting them into the closet for "someday."
These HSTs for Flaneur have been my leader-ender effort for the past few weeks. They're all sewn now and I've pressed the first few . . .
But as you can see, there are a lot more that still need to be pressed open since there are nearly 400 HSTs in the layout.
As I was clearing off the top of my sewing table I took the time to stitch up three strip sets for Raconteur, a low volume scrappy trips quilt. One set is shown here on the cutting table and the remaining strips are grouped and stacked in the shoebox.
I went ahead and made two test blocks to convince myself that the low volume prints would work. (I've seen lots of photos of LV scrappy trips but I wanted to see blocks using my fabrics before proceeding.)
Raconteur will become one of our January quiet quilts but I'm hopeful it will be finished long before then.
* * *
Little Man will be here this weekend for a sleepover.
Last Sunday during our weekly family dinner he happily told me that he'd like to make another quilt while he was here. I had to explain that making a quilt is too big for a weekend so we are going to make a placemat "from scraps" that he can take home and use at his house.
Something tells me he will also want to make two more - one for Mommy and one for Daddy. Good thing I have lots of scraps.
* * *
Has anyone else encountered the apparently random "sign in with Google" issue when attempting to leave a comment on someone else's blog post? I have tried several times to "log in" (despite already being logged into Blogger/Google) without success. So to those who are not receiving comments from me - it isn't that I haven't tried!
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“We are mosaics – pieces of light, love, history, and stars all glued together with magic and music and words.”
Anita Krizzan







9 comments:
Love your quilting comments and pictures. Yes encountered the sign in issue yesterday to my dismay. Johanne Hagar
I think a baby would love those dotty fabrics a lot;))) good exercise for growing eyes...
Great that you will have a weekend sewing fest with Little Man;))) I can't wait to see what he'll choose for his placemats.--what fun!!
Hugs, Julierose
Enjoyed my visit with you today! I have been contemplating a low volume quilt and have settled on a design, now I need to start. Yes, I encountered the sign in problem yesterday on another blog and still can’t leave a comment.
I wondered how you came up with the names for your quilts and always meant to ask….your previous post answered my unasked question! My other question: how do you select/find your quotes? They are usually spot on with your topic that day…..written just for you! Looking forward to what we learn from Little Man this weekend!
I love all the dots! The low volume quilt is also pretty - so far. I've also encountered the login deal on random blogs and thought maybe it was my smartphone? It's aging, but I've found that if I scroll to the bottom of the post and choose "view desktop version" it lets me comment. I'm not sure how you're viewing blogs, or if it would work on a desktop, but maybe? (I'm sure blogger changed something...again...and eventually all the browsers, even if they are also Google programs, will catch up. I hope!)
Your low volume scrappy trips looks exciting! And yes, I'm getting comments regarding that issue too, but have no idea how to ?correct it.
the dots atre lovely and bright.........love the low volume also......not thought about making that.........
also my friend Jo is also haveing issues but I did read someone sorry no idea who had got onto apple and they sorted the issues for them.........do you use apple???
The whole Blogger comment thing is driving me a bit crazy, too, Julie! Enjoy your time with Little Man this weekend. I know you two will have BIG fun in the studio!!
Blogger has definitely been messing with things again. Email notifications (which granted they said they were not going to do any more last July) have been arriving days late with multiple posts in one email. I haven't had trouble commenting, however, but I use gmail, so I'm always logged in on my google account.
Have a great weekend with Little Man. I'm sure he'll come up with a creative design.
Pat
I don't think I've come across low volume TATW quilts,, but I like your sample blocks very much.
Post a Comment