Monday, April 25, 2022

Dot to Dot - the Layout



Initially I thought about scattering the colors throughout the quilt top but when I arranged the 8" (when finished) blocks in rows . . . well, there was no more pondering/auditioning needed.  




Here's a straight-on view - the top will finish in the 48" x 64" range when it is sewn together.

I recently gifted the last of my finished baby quilts so this one will be a new one to have on hand.




Another quilt shop in our area is closing - the owner is retiring so she and her husband can travel.  Much of the yardage in her shop is not significantly marked down yet but I bought this fun print at $4/yard specifically to back Dot to Dot.  




I like the way the blocks and the backing play together and that the finished quilt could be gifted to a boy or a girl.


* * *

When I was cutting rectangles for this project I knew I was over-cutting.  I also hoped I would be able to make another scrappy baby/toddler quilt with those extras.  

I sat down this weekend and counted the bonus rectangles and there are enough to make TWO crib size quilt tops.  I've named one project OHANA (which means family) and the other FERHOODLE (meaning to mix up).  

Both design ideas are chosen and I've started sorting the rectangles into combinations so they can become my leader-ender project once the last of the HSTs for FLANEUR are finished.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Consistency is an underappreciated form of intentional magic disguised as a mundane doing.”
Victoria Erickson

14 comments:

Julierose said...

Neat baby quilt! I love that backing--just perfect
Nice work hugs, Julierose

jennifer said...

oh! i really love this one! so fun, bright and cheery!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh wow! I hope my daughter doesn't see this! She is such a ROYGBIV girl, she would have me make her one immediately! Your layout is perfect!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Dot to Dot is terrific! And I always like to have a couple of baby quilts on hand . . . .

Peggy said...

Love this dot to dot quilt, such fun!

Nann said...

The rainbow progression looks terrific -- the black/white centers add dimension. Great backing fabric, too.

julieQ said...

Very nice! Love your rainbow progression...very fun!

Ellie said...

Your Dod to Dot is terrific and the backing is just right! Will make a great baby quilt. I love the iguana on the back! What fun. I’m looking forward to see what you do with the leftovers.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Such a joyful quilt! Love the way it came together. And more rectangles to play with, yay.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW super cute, Julie!! I know you will have fun with the leftovers when the time comes. Good thinking to keep a stash of gift quilts on hand!

QuiltGranma said...

You come up with such interesting names for your quilts. How do you find the words?

LynneP said...

What a fun quilt!!! Looking forward to seeing the others, too.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Dot to Dot is amazing!!! All those bright happy colors!! its perfect!
and the backing is amazing too!!!

Chookyblue...... said...

love the look of these fabrics.......