Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Checking In



While Gone Dotty rests on the design wall, I am letting my brain work on a different challenge.  

It has been a while since I have systematically re-sorted and tidied the stash so now seemed like a very good time to dive in.  

This time I decided to try more of a ROYGBIV layout for the colors.

This is the first of the bookshelves after being tidied and rearranged.

Red - Orange - Yellow - Green . . .  (plus the black and whites)




Here are the other two bookshelves still in the process of being updated.  Since this photo was taken the small stacks of solids have been integrated into their respective color stacks.  They don't get used the way they are so I'll trying mixing them in and see if that encourages me to include them in fabric pulls (maybe - maybe not).

Blue . . . [light blue]. . .  Indigo . . . Violet (plus pink, salmon, and brown; warm neutrals and grayed neutrals)

Also since this photo was taken the contents of each resource box has been edited and refolded (whew!).  I also rearranged the resource boxes into ROYGBIV order so between the cleaning out and rearranging, they look so much better.

Disclaimer:  Along the way I've also discarded fabrics I'm tired of or never really liked much (breathing room feels wonderful).

Next up will be dumping out each of the crumb boxes and re-filling them with only the pieces I might actually use.   


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“In order to achieve “flow” [or] “magic” [or] “the zone,” we start by being common and ordinary and workmanlike.”
Steven Pressfield

11 comments:

Kaja said...

Your shelves look very appealing with the colours grouped like this. As a bonus,I have found that sometimes rearranging lets you see fabrics that you might otherwise have missed.

Nancy said...

Impressive amount of work here! It looks great. It makes sense to incorporated your solids into the color line with prints- I can see they might get overlooked otherwise. Maybe they still will, but at least they have a shot of being worked into a project. OK- are you now afraid to disturb these beautiful piles?

Linda Swanekamp said...

I have been doing a little of what you have. I have a post ready to go about my new shelving, but I lust for your fabric and storage. I spent a good deal of time the past couple of days refolding and stacking. I made myself get rid of fabric that I never liked but accumulated- old pastelly florals that were given. Our guild will have a quilt show in October, so these pieces are going into the fabric pool.

Elaina said...

I have a daughter who has been after me to arrange my stash into something that can be dealt with. She wants matching containers of some kind. Can't wait to she her this! It looks fabulous!

jmsx3 said...

Thank you for another huge dose of COLOR! As always, you are an inspiration.

sandi s said...

It looks amazing!! All those beautiful colors going across the shelves, I love it. Hugs,

The Joyful Quilter said...

Anyway you arrange it, your colorful stash is gorgeous, Julie!!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Wow, such a beautifully organized system! I hope the re-org and the new display inspire you for your next project.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Beautiful! I hope the re-org and the ROYGBIV layout inspire you for your next project.

Mystic Quilter said...

I am green with envy looking at your amazingly organised stash!!

Chookyblue...... said...

The shelves of organised fabric look gorgeous..... Enjoy sewing up some new quilts from then.....