This is the glass house in the Children's Room at the main location of our Public Library.
Here is the description from the library's website:
"Perhaps one’s first thought when stepping into the Children’s Area is, “Exactly how did I wander into the pages of a children’s story?”
An understandable reaction, as you are surrounded by stylized trees, colorful rivers and a fantastic glass house at the end of a magical path. Nancy Cheairs has created a world of wonder based on her celebrated painting that grips the imagination of children and adults alike. “I wanted to create a whimsical piece that opens children’s minds to reading and learning,” said the artist. Delightfully exaggerated and fueled by creativity, Cheairs has helped make the Children’s Area of the library the most captivating of its kind."
And this photo of Little Man (many months ago) in front of that glass house is what inspired the project I named Logophile (a person who loves words).
After leader-endering over 300 three-inch HSTs and turning them into 9" blocks, this was the very disappointing result of the first layout on the design wall.
This was a second attempt which was still utterly and completely disappointing, which clearly meant there was no where to go but somewhere far beyond the original inspiration . . .
This iteration is so much more alive. When sewn together this way, the top would measure 54" square. (double click to supersize for more fabric details - lots of text prints and KF fabrics)
Here it is on the design wall with the intended backing (from the Story line by Carrie Bloomston). It doesn't show well in this photo but the bodies of the elephants have fragments of text on them. (the backing and binding may or may not actually be used)
I'm going to let things stay this way on the wall for a bit to be sure I want to move forward with finishing.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“And where does magic come from? I think that magic’s in the learning.”
Dar Williams
11 comments:
Sooooo very much more dynamic in the new layout! Hooray!
This has a 3D effect. I love it.
i love the HST blocks. they're great! but- if you're going for the glass house, you're missing the gold grid which divides every panel. what if you added that in? or black, which would make the mind think even more of stained glass...
can you spread the blocks out a bit, and audition the gold and black as lattice?
the second layout is nice, but not at all reminiscent of the house in the library...
you're defitntely on the right track, tho, adn it's good to leave it simmer on your design wall.
what does Little Man think? did he see it?
Wow, I can't believe the difference in the second layout. It sparkles. Same blocks, added pizzaz. It always amazes me what blocks can do.
That's what I missed too...the grid between blocks. Still great without it though.
xx, Carol
Thanks for sharing the library pictures. I would have loved this as a child. It's pretty terrific as an adult too! So amazing what wonderful things can happen by rotating a block.
The final setting really brings out the beauty of the fabrics, Julie. I wonder where my scrappy blocks in the same setting got to after the move???
Love the finished setting Julie - definitely much more alive. Reminds me of the saying "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again"
You now have a truly vibrant quilt setting.
Your final layout is truly BRILLIANT! Didn’t like the blocks at all until the final go
The last one really gives it a stained glass refraction look... cool
Love the last layout!!!!! Love text fabrics as well - cannot resist them!
Post a Comment