Last week I took an all-day virtual class
called Coming Full Circle with Sarah Bond.
(she also taught the virtual class that led to Pizzazz)
While there were three different components to the class
I focused entirely on the first one - paper pieced string fans.
Here is that same quarter circle with the excess trimmed away.
Sarah taught paper piecing differently than
any other class I've taken through the years.
I quite like her approach as it slightly more liberated
than the rigid add-a-quarter-inch ruler method.
I'm intrigued enough to continue on.
Of course, there is still that dreaded paper removal
process waiting in the wings - but Sarah also shared
a couple of her "tricks" to make that easier.
(time will tell)
I made a total of five quarter circles by mid-afternoon.
(and my brain was already engaged in layout mode)
I've chosen a layout used for New York Beauty blocks.
NYB is the ONLY quilt I've ever been willing to paper piece --
I used the Fickle Pickle design to create Colors of Joy (2005),
Spirit Song (2010), and a wallhanging named New Crayons (2006).
AND, thanks to the Bernie-wants-to-retire
I scored this terrific yardage at a good discount.
It really seems to suit the emerging personality
of this project and may well become its backing.
(proper name is still TBD)
Since this project was NOT on my radar
guess who I'm going to blame . . .
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“I saw a sunset in Queretaro that seemed to reflect the colour of a rose in Bengal.”
Jorge Luis Borges





13 comments:
I can see how that squirrel got you. Sooooooooooo tempting! I love how it is looking. I recently did a paperpieced project and when I got to that dreaded part of tearing off the paper, I spritzed it with water and it came right out! That may be one of her tips. I don't know but it sure saved me from some anguish! I hate paper piecing but I love the look.
Isn't it great to learn something new or better? I can't believe all the plaids, wow. I need to take another class online. The two I have taken were not great. The squirrel is busy, he showed up at my house this week.
Since I'm not a fan of paper piecing, that sounds like a class that I need to take! Looks like a sweet project, Julie.
Those darned squirrels! They get into everything! :) Where do you find good classes? They seem to give you some really nice projects.
i think I like where this squirrel is taking yoU!
I really like those plaids in the fan shape--the fabric being so rigidly printed and the circle breaking it up nicely--looking forward to seeing where this will lead you...hugs, Julierose
Ah, the ever present squirrels! But such a pretty squirrel!
These look amazing! I love them, but then, they're made out of directionals. What else would I do but swoon!:)
I had been looking and looking for the Fickle Pickle pattern. Finally found it on Ebay~ Love your colors and the plaids in the circles.
My good friend took a couple of in-person classes from Sarah Bond at Mid-Atlantic back before we were all engaging in the online versions. She loved her as an instructor and had some very nice completed quilts as a result. This looks fabulous; you'll put your own spin on it, naturally, and it will be phenomenal! Those dreaded squirrels!!!
Love those paid circles Julie, the fabrics are working beautifully together, happy the squirrel arrived in your studio again!
I love the look of these plaid wheels. This is going to be a sweet subtle quilt. The fabric for backing is really a fun one.
There goes that squirrel again - scattering happiness wherever he goes!
Post a Comment