Sea of HSTs is finished.
Inspired by a Gee's Bend quilt (see link below second photo)
I started this one in early 2019 to use up a huge stack
of over-enthusiastically die cut HSTs leftover from
the block corners for Someday is Now.
By July 2019 the top was completed.
I pieced a scrappy back using the last of the HSTs
and into the waiting-closet the top and back went.
Quilted with my liberated Baptist fans with spiral centers
using Glide thread in Sea Foam.
No - your eyes are NOT deceiving you.
We have lots of snow and VERY cold temperatures.
(we haven't seen this much snow here in thirty years)
This is something I have not been able to do before -
take a photo of a newly-finished quilt laying on almost 8 inches of snow.
And here's the back of the quilt.
The finished quilt measures 45" wide x 57" long.
While the adults worry about the weather,
Little Man is having the time of his life.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Be uniquely you. Stand out. Shine. Be colorful.”
Amy Leigh Mercree








24 comments:
Oh, I LOVE this quilt, Julie! One would think with so many fabric prints that it would look chaotic. But NO, they all blend so nicely and eye pleasing. The back looks wonderful too. I love that circles print on the back. The color mix in this quilt is awesome. Nice finish! Little Man is adorable!
Beautiful quilt. I keep going back and looking again at the pictures - so much pattern and love how the colors just seem to belong to each other.
Oh, I just love the look of the quilt- the colors, the blending, the quilting and the back is equally wonderful. I am used to snow and cold, but this winter is giving us a bit more than the past couple of years. We are prepped for this, and I feel so bad for those who are not equipped to deal with it- poor Texas.
The quilt is beautiful! Lot all those soft aqua/turquoise colors! I live in NE Ohio and there is more snow here than we have had in a few years. Usually it snows, then melts and then snows again. This year it is more like a normal winter. Now down south, that is a different story! My brother lives in Texas and they have had snow in the past, but it usually melts within a few hours. He has lived there 30 years and never seen snow stay for days. Stay safe and I hope you are keeping warm!
Just lovely work on this HST quilt--I love that circle fabric--it really draws your eyes around the piece so well...hugs, Julierose
Oh wow! This might be my all time favorite. I love everything about it! Love that little guy's hat too!
So much truth there regarding adults and children's reaction to snow. Your quilt is wonderful (A FROZEN Sea of HSTs)and, at first glance, reminded me of Gee's Bend~ you were highly successful in representing that!
Oh this is beautiful! Love everything about it....especially that back!! I want to try your spiral center Baptist fan quilting. Little man seems to be reminding the adults to enjoy the moment. Hope you stay warm and have everything you need.
So lovely, what a wonderful way to use up extra HSTs. Is it safe to assume you'd recommend the accuquilt cutter? I've been thinking about getting one for a while. What size do you have?
OMG!! I love every quilt more than the last one. This is like “ I love the mountains till I get to the beach. I love the beach till I get to the mountains.” This scrappiness is so blending and pleasing. So, so we’ll done. Your artistry is amazing!
Love the quilt and the back is awesome!! Love Little Man enjoying the snow. See, you missed snow!!
Sea Foam green and soft florals... SEW sweet, Julie!! 8" of snow? Yes, I'm sure Little Man is having a TON of fun!
That quilt is so peaceful even with all of the triangle busyness. I love both the front and the back mainly because of the low contrast in values. It's not all that easy to do and still have the pattern visible.
Little man may only see a few snowfalls like this in his lifetime if he stays in the south.
Julie, each time you post photos of Sea of HST's my heart skips a beat!
There are many stunning quilts that we have the pleasure and privilege
of viewing in blogger posts but this one is something else. As a 16yr old my parents and I sailed to New Zealand through Suez and crossed the Indian Ocean for 10 days, you have captured the colours perfectly and brought also the memories of the waters around Bermuda as we sailed back through Panama. Thank you for taking me back in time.
I do not know how to tell you how much I love this particular quilt. Speechless. And Little Man is pretty darn cute!
This quilt is so beautiful!! I love these colors.
You are on a roll! Another beauty. I do love the colors, and the quilting is great. And Little Man looks quite happy to be rolling in the white stuff. Hope you are warm and dry!
So so beautiful !
Your quilt turned out wonderfully...love you little man. I tried to go out and make a snowman but it is no fun by yourself.
Such a lovely quilt, did you say the size? It is like studying sea foam for colors... just wonderful! Superlatives galore!
LOVE IT! The quilt may be having its glamour shots in the snow, but to me it is a harbinger of Spring!
Oh WOW! I love this quilt so much! Your quilting totally makes the quilt shine. Wonderful, wonderful job.:)
Your quilting adds such wonderful texture that adds so much to this quilt....it’s amazing! Isn’t great what fun kids have in the snow, all the more for the novelty of not having it very often? Little man sure is getting bigger!
I love this quilt!! Can you tell me, are those two and a half finished HST? Mona
Post a Comment