Monday, April 20, 2020

Don't Make Me Break Out the Flying Monkeys


Who remembers the flying monkeys
 from The Wizard of Oz movie?

I was afraid of them when I was a child.

Honestly, they still creep me out.

* * *

In 2008 I was part of Tonya Ricucci's online Summer class
where our challenge was to make a two color quilt.

I struggled for weeks to come up with an idea.

On July 11th during a perfectly awful day at work
I realized exactly which phrase I would create
with free pieced letters on my class quilt.




It didn't take long to decide on my two colors
(a multi color dot on black and a collection of yellows)
and get the first few words pieced.

I also started testing potential border ideas.




By July 21 all of the words were pieced.




I shared this photo of a sketch showing 
my asymmetrical border plan on July 24th.





The inspiration for my borders 
came from Collaborative Quilting
by Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran.




I had made lots of piano key borders 
but this was the first time I'd added 
one of Gwen's serpentine strips.




This photo of another border's design
shows the black background print really well
as well as some of the many yellows.

I had nearly 6 yards of that background when I started
and only very small scraps when I finished.

So typical for liberated free pieced quilts -
ALWAYS buy more background
than you think you'll need.

At least twice as much and more if you can.




A double row of broken dishes blocks
created an interesting secondary design
for the quilt's top upper edge
and it helped balance out the large 
monkey wrench blocks at the bottom.

I debated about adding a third color
since it was a two-color challenge
but since the quilt NEEDED the pops of red
and we all know I'm not all that good
about sticking to "the directions or the plan" . . . 




I shared the finished flimsy on August 24.

It measured 61" wide x 86" long.

I then handed the top and back off 
to my good friend Chris
for custom free motion quilting.




I shared the completely finished quilt on October 1, 2008.

(that's just under three months from idea to completion)




Here's how Chris quilted the serpentine border.




And here's how she quilted the broken dishes border.

The custom work she did on this quilt
was light years ahead of what she had been doing . . .
I don't know which of us was the most thrilled!





In November, I shared the quilt during the 2008 edition
of the annual Davies Manor Quilt and Fiber Arts show.




And in December, DH hung the quilt 
in our newly-painted foyer.

(the door trim wasn't even installed at this point)

* * *

Fast forward a year or so . . . 

Tonya Ricucci was in the process of writing a book
about liberated letter making.

She had already asked to include my quilt
from her 2007 First Ever Online Class
AND SOMETIMES Y.

(you can see "Y"in this photo
taken during AQS Nashville 2008)

Tonya sheepishly asked if I would be willing 
to also let her include The Flying Monkeys
and, of course, I was happy to say YES.

Both quilts were shipped to her publisher in January 2010.




In October of that year, The Flying Monkeys
traveled to the Houston Quilt Show where 
it made an appearance in the Martingale booth.

Look closely and you can see Tonya holding the quilt.

(she was so surprised at how large the quilt was)




The quilt also travelled to The Quilt Show
when Tonya made an appearance there
to promote her book's upcoming release.


My quilt was too large for the stage set
so this impromptu photo was taken
of Tonya (and someone else) 
holding up the quilt backstage.




Both of my book quilts came home on December 9th,
eleven months after leaving Tennessee, and
my copy of WORD PLAY QUILTS arrived on December 14.

What a happy day for liberated letter makers everywhere.

(this photo really illustrates the scale of the letters)


* * *

So I'm sure you're wondering why 
I am sharing this particular post today . . . 

Lynne has been telling the long and winding story
 of our friendship in a series of posts on her blog.

(look for Julie and Lynne - Our Story in the sidebar
below the SSOBB logo and before the Labels list)

Last week she shared her 2013 photo 
of The Flying Monkeys hanging in our foyer 
and we both discovered that I'd never 
put together a comprehensive post for the quilt.

This post was the closest I'd come.

The oversight has now been corrected.

Enjoy!

(and you can see more of my liberated letter quilts HERE)


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Listening is a magnetic and strange thing, a creative force. The friends who listen to us are the ones we move toward. When we are listened to, it creates us, makes us unfold and expand.”

Karl Menninger

19 comments:

Lesley Gilbert said...

Lovely story about your fabulous quilt & I love reading all the stories of the friendship between you and Lynne. Wondering why one of your photo's has been blocked - no mention of F.masks.

Julierose said...

Wonderful storyline to the making of this quilt...Those broken dishes are just perfect for the words...
Thanks for sharing [BTW--those flying monkeys scared me too...}
~ ~ ~ waving under gray skies Julierose ;))

Linda Swanekamp said...

What a great story! Unfortunately one of the photos got gobbled up in cyberspace. Those monkeys always creeped me out too. I remember they would only show the Wizard of Oz maybe only once a year. I would have to scramble and find a neighbor who had a color TV because it would switch from B&W to color in Oz. Growing up with the Bethlehem Steel Plant at the end of my street made me pine for color also. Whatever happened to Tonya? I have her wonderful book.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm glad you (finally) got around to telling us what this post was about, Julie. I kept looking back to see if it was published today. Scrolling back up the page to check the dates as I read the post. SEW confused! I'm currently working on a word quilt, but it's not anything as wild and crazy as your Flying Monkeys.

LA Paylor said...

wowie! that's quite a story! The wizard of oz is my all time fave movie, but those stinkin' monkeys! They terrified me more than the witch. Great job on those letters. I took a blueprint class with her I think... still haven't tried the letters tho

Millie said...

This quilt so totally rocks! I'm glad it finally got the story it deserves.

Judy in Michigan said...

I think that during the time of you working on this quilt, you and I corresponded. I was totally enamored with the idea of free pieced letters and still am to this day. I think I even made a suggestion for this quilt or maybe seconded your idea. Happy Friend Day to you (I just made up that holiday)!! It is still one of my favorite quilts!!

Nann said...

Thanks for the quilt tale! (My quilt history program is called "Every Quilt Tells a Story," and you've proved it.)

Kay said...

Love this! I used to say this at work when people were getting too close to the edge. I enjoy your posts so much - your creativity, bending or breaking from the so called rules speaks to me, and your wonderful colorful quilts - make me smile and inspire me to expand my own creative horizons. Thank you

Janie said...

Now that's an exciting story! Not so much 'breaking' rules as just letting the creativity flow.

Erni said...

That is very cool! I remember the mno
keys, they terrified me as a kid!

Ruth said...

Thank you for sharing your quilt story,I've always wondered where that phrase came from. Maybe the flying monkeys never scared me or maybe I just don't remember. I love both of your letter quilts

Lynette said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about this quilt! Thank you for sharing its story. I'm going to try sharing it on Facebook with my friend, because this is a standby phrase for her, and she will love your quilt, too.

Lynette said...

(I shared the URL to your blog post) :)

Barb said...

Thanks for sharing the story of this quilt. I too was afraid of the flying monkeys and like you, they still creep me out. My husband and I were just talking about this the other day when we saw the Wizard of Oz. What a fabulous quilt and story

Mystic Quilter said...

I love the quilt and the story of how you came to decide on the way forward with it, you must really have had a bad day at the office! I have seen the movie but can't remember the Flying Monkeys, maybe I closed my eyes tightly and missed them out of choice!

Barb said...

I LOVE everything about this quilt. The string piecing, the lettering, the inspiration - i adore Wizard of OZ. I too have a oz quilt, but not as fantastical as this one.
WELL WELL done!! The quilting is fabulous too.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is just so awesome!! I am glad you shared it again - because I still love it!!!

Robby said...

What a great tale! And those flying monkeys scared the daylights out of me. Good to finally see they serve a good purpose in the world.