Saturday, January 11, 2020

RSC 2020 - Let the Fun Begin



Light, bright greens are the color for January.

These are from those two crumb boxes.

What will I make with my crumb box scraps this year?


Photo from the designer's Dizzy Quilter blog

The first will be a variation on this idea
found in the January/February McCall's quilting magazine

I plan to call my project VARIEGATED.

The 4" blocks involve two rectangles apiece
and, by my calculations, I'll need to cut 
36 rectangles each month to make 18 blocks.

(10 months x 18 blocks = 180 blocks)

These will be laid out 12 wide x 15 long
for a top that will measure 48" x 60"

Layout decisions will wait until much later in the year
after I see how my scrappy blocks play with each other.


Dumpster Diving 1 - Willy Nilly (2011)

The second project will be a color-block version
of my original Dumpster Diving quilt.
(shown above during construction)

Whatever scraps are left after cutting 
the rectangles for Variegated will be trimmed 
to 1.5" wide and sewn together end-to-end.

They will be used to piece the 11th 
in what will be my series of twelve 
Dumpster Diving Quilts.

(you can read about my Dumpster Diving series HERE -
including a link to Tonya's 2011 tutorial
that started an international legos phenomenon)

Dumpster Diving 11 has been nicknamed MISCHIEF.
(more on the name later in the process)

12" (finished) blocks laid out 4 wide x 5 long means
 I'll need a total of twenty color-themed blocks
to end up with a 48" x 60" lap quilt.

Not sure if I'll make two blocks per month
or just go with the flow of scraps
and see which colors are the most plentiful.

Either way, layout decisions will wait 
until the blocks are complete near the end of the year.

* * *


Why did I choose these two projects

I wanted low-stress projects that 
fit closely with my four process words:
liberated, eclectic, scrappy, and colorful.

I also wanted projects that let me USE
the bits and pieces in my crumb boxes.

After considerable waffling between ideas,
I'm happy with the two that I've chosen.

* * *

Click HERE to see what some of the others
are doing with their light/bright green scraps.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“My parents taught me how to listen to everybody before I made up my own mind. When you listen, you learn. You absorb like a sponge-and your life becomes so much better than when you are just trying to be listened to all the time.”

Steven Spielberg

16 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Good luck with your RSC20 projects, Julie! Relaxed goal are perfect for playing in your fabric scraps. Enjoy the process!

maggie fellow said...

I like your projects for the year in color

Julierose said...

Great idea--I am flaying around with some sample projects to see what I will continue with...hugs, Julierose

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your inspired dumpster diving series! I want to run to my scrap bins and start making these blocks!

Deb A said...

Great choices. It will be fun to watch them grow this year.

LA Paylor said...

your approach is so useful to read about. I want my projects to be the same, colorful, easy, engrossing, and using up some strings for me. I have a lot of strips of odd sizes to use. Not all of my strips are pretty either, but even less pretty is a good foil for the brighter ones. I just want to whittle down a little so the boxes close.

Elle said...

I have to laugh at your crumb box. You see, I don't sew crumbs. Can't stand 'em. However, anything that is minimum 1.5" square is not a crumb in my studio! Anything smaller than that goes into a shipping string box if enough to see 1/4" (for my string loving GF in TX), or in a bag for my GF who makes doggie beds for the shelter.

Love all of your projects! I have started a Lego block myself (Tonya Ricucchi in 2011).

Happy sewing in 2020!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I've enjoyed your Dumpster Diving series so much - those kinds of quilts are so appealing to me! Your ideas for this year's projects look wonderful!

Cathy said...

Like the Color Catcher. My crumbs wouldn't have any pieces near big enough to make those 4 inch blocks. Those are more what I call chunks. Whatever we call them using them is the idea and that's a great choice.

I was thinking of using what is left in my 1.5 inch scrap box at the end of the year into a lego quilt. I was going to cut what was left into squares but lego quilt seems a better choice especially since the lego quilt was inspired by a vintage quilt. Love quilts inspired by vintage ones.

Marly said...

Good luck in making these projects this year. I enjoyed reading about all your DD quilts; they are amazingly all so different, even though the technique is the same. Brilliant!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow, love how your mind works. You have the best ideas. I like how you focused in.

Barb said...

Of course you have to see if they play well together.... I need to do one of these, great way to use scraps for sure.

Jo said...

Love your thoughtful approach to quilting. And your blog sidebar is just the best!

Jenny said...

Great idea to choose non stress blocks to sew!

Robin said...

The thing I like about reading your posts is that you're having fun. That's what it's all about.

Mystic Quilter said...

Exciting projects full of luscious colour!! The first quilt definitely lends itself to the different colours each month.