Monday, January 6, 2020

Pillow Party



Three low volume pillows for my recliner
with liberated fans, wavy lines,
and woodgrain quilting designs.





Three pillows for one end of the couch
quilted with random swirls, pebbles in the stream,
and another style of liberated fans.




Three pillows for the other end of the couch
with woodgrain, crazy loose weave,
and a modified fan quilting design.




The first nine pillows were all backed with this
Eclectic Elements print from several years ago.

It was originally purchased to back a quilt
but had been passed over time and again
so using it for these pillows felt very good.

The gingham binding falls into that same category -
purchased long ago and finally used.




The final four pillows are for DH's recliner.

They were quilted with a liberated S-curve meander,
liberated fans and flowers, crazy loose weave,
and what was supposed to be waves and whitecaps
but mostly looks like wiggly lines and swirls.




And if you look closely at that last photo,
you can see the shadows of these upside-down
tomato cages that are protecting 
our newly sprouted daffodil shoots.

They won't bloom for a long time but seeing them return
is such a welcome and reassuring sight.


(. . . and the next time I mention 
whipping out a new set of pillow covers,
please remind me just HOW long it takes to
prep and sandwich the tops, quilt them, 
make the envelope backs, assemble, and bind them!)



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“The word 'listen' contains the same letters as the word 'silent'.”
Alfred Brendel

16 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

Love your pillow party. I need to set aside a day just to make pillow covers! Thanks for the encouragement.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That is SEW many pillows for one room!!! My DH isn't a fan of more than a few pillows on a couch and one on a chair. If I made this many pillows for our living space, he would think I'd list my mind!! They sure are pretty, though.

Julierose said...

Lovely pillow finishes...they do take a lot of time!! hugs, Julierose

Sandra Lanter said...

Your pillows are beautiful...just my style and so polished looking. I can tell you took time with these. Good work!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Love your pillows! Perfect use for that backing fabric. You're so right about how much time they take. Enjoy!

Preeti said...

Do you know how detrimental it is to see pillows (and such handsome ones) on Monday morning? On the first Monday of the new year??? I want to put my little head on those gorgeous pillows and not wake up till Happy Hour on Friday :-)

QuiltGram said...

Absolutely gorgeous.

Linda Swanekamp said...

They are beautiful. They must look great where youu placed them. Is the binding the normal quilt type binding? It is too funny that you did these and Bonnie Hunter's quilt cam was about binding envelope pillows. Great minds think alike, I guess.

Jaye said...

Did you add zippers so the covers can be washed or are they permanently covering the inserts?

Magpie Sue said...

Great repurposing of fabric earmarked for other projects. Throw pillows like these don't seem to stay on the chairs or couch where I put them. They always end up on the floor! I've taken to just making pillowcases for the flat bed pillows we use on the couch. Somehow they don't end up on the floor nearly as often. And they're a lot less work to produce!

Ann said...

How clever of you to create them all at once, even though that meant more work at the time. Using gingham binding and similar colors unites them all. Different quilting designs made it a bit more fun for you. And now you must really enjoy having them freshen your living room.

Cathy said...

Oh, I think those low volume pillows are wonderful. I like how you quilted them various ways. I keep thinking I need to have a pillow party. I was going to make them for Christmas gifts and also make the pillow forms myself and use the bags and bags of old batting for stuffing. (Actually I think I've already used up the muslin I bought long ago to make the pillow forms). I just couldn't psyche myself up enough the last couple of years to get the job done. You've definitely inspired me!

Janie said...

Congratulations on your finish, very attractive. Yes, pillows are 'fiddly' to make up but oh so useful!

Bernie Kringel said...

These are stunning. My living room pillows are currently a mismatched set of odd colors. It makes me crazy but not so much that I have actually fixed it (yet). Well done! I LOVE the Eclectic print on the back by the way.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the pillows Julie, looks like they're a good size too. Please show us a photo of your daffodils when they're blooming won't you, one of my favourite childhood flowers growing by the trees in the field near our house.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those are great pillows!!!