Monday, January 13, 2020

In Need of a New Home




These project boxes held a fabric pull
that marinated until late last year.




Thirty pairs of plaid rectangles were cut
along with 60 solid rectangles.

(colors are accurate in this photo)




The (solid + plaid) pairs were sewn and
those pairs were later sewn into four patches.

Each four patch measures 8" wide x 12" long
and there are 30 of them in this photo.

6 wide x 5 long 
(48" x 60")

(see previous photo for more accurate colors)

* * *

This would make an ideal donation top 
but I just don't want to sew the blocks together
or turn this into a finished quilt --
so I am offering the blocks at no charge
to someone who will finish it 
and turn it into a donation quilt.

If you are interested,
please leave me a comment below
that includes a way for me to contact you.

If there are multiple volunteers,
I'll draw a name late Tuesday afternoon.

* * *


On a closely related note, I have spent 
the past week culling through the fabric pulls 
and potential projects lurking in my closet/stash.

One was re-directed to become Dumpster Diving 10.

Three vintage makeover projects have been offered 
to our local quilt appraiser for her collection.

Two other fabric pulls were re-directed 
from their original plans to a single updated one 
that will be more meaningful.

The overabundance of 30s reproduction strips 
(cut when I was making Optic Strings)
will be handed off to another member
of our Wednesday quilt group
for use in her guild's hospice quilt program.

And several others remain on the chopping block.




What prompted this unexpected need
to reconfigure, consolidate, and/or purge?

A protracted encounter with paperwork
for a potential long term care policy 
(ultimately declined due to outrageous premiums)
and its associated set of life expectancy tables.

All of us know that we won't live forever -
but having to work so closely with that fact 
in order to make an educated decision
is an excessively sobering experience.




The whole process has been a major reminder 
why I want to and need to spend my studio time
honoring my process and making with intention 
instead of being so easily swayed by
what others online and elsewhere are doing.


(aside from the influence of my beloved studio squirrels)




Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Stop what you are doing long enough to enjoy the sunset, listen to a special song that lifts you up, or pick up the phone and share some special thought with a caring friend.”
Barbara Johnson

21 comments:

Lisa said...

perhaps you could donate the blocks to Covered in Love Quilts.
for info: http://katandcatquilts.blogspot.com/p/covered-in-love.html

Pamela Arbour said...

You are probably being more realistic than I am. My blog name is "Sewing Up My Fabric" and it is my goal to sew up my fabric before I die! I did the math (sort of) and decided that I will need to live to be 100 (at least)! I have bought very little fabric in the last 3 years and try to buy only solids when needed. It is a challenge sometimes but I made do.

The Joyful Quilter said...

DS1 came snooping around my studio last night. He started up with... What's in that box? Why do you need this? When was the last time you used...? Ultimately, we clear a 4" space on one shelf, an 8" space on the cutting table and recycled one bag of miscellaneous papers. AND... he's coming back next weekend to"help" some more!!! Ugh! I can SEW feel your pain, Julie.

CyndyL said...

My Quilt Club makes quilts for Foster Kids, if this is cotton fabric I'm sure we could help you out with this. cindy.keence@sbcglobal.net

Cherie said...

I would be happy to receive some of your blocks. We are making fidget quilts at this time and could use some blocks. Thank you.

Susan in Arizona said...

My guild makes lap quilts for hospice and the cancer center. Happy to use what ever you won't need. samuel.susan1@gmail.com

Darlene said...

I would be interested in your fabric, I do a lot of charity quilts for my quild. We donate to Linus project, quilts of Valor and Ronald McDonald house. Just love sewing and my family can't take any more quilts. Thanks, Darlene dhoctor@sbcglobal.net

Nann said...

I commend you for your successful destashing. It looks as though you have some takers for the plaid blocks. But I look forward to seeing what the squirrels have in store for you!

Joyce said...

Each year I along with a small group of 3 others, make quilts for Hospice. This past year I was able to donate twenty six. The local Hospice office tells us that this barely makes a dent for the number of patients they have. Should I be the one lucky enough to receive your quilts, it would truly bless our efforts. Wherever they go, it would be wonderful! heartscreations@outlook.com

Mari said...

Long term care insurance is a great idea-- if you can buy it in your 20s. Otherwise it's just too expensive. At any age, though, it's good to clean out an reassess things from time to time. And projects you won't do just bring things down, so really good to sweep them away and relieve yourself of the mental drain, too. Looking forward to some new squirrels!

Judy in Michigan said...

Our little group in Gaylord does "comfort quilts" for veterans that have come upon hard times. We would be most grateful to finish the plaid/solid quilt for someone in need. You have my email and thank you very much. Judy Stone

LA Paylor said...

I think Kaja at Sewslowly works with plaids a lot and might love those.
Hey, I think you should keep your projects if they bring you happiness, even if one day we'll shuffle off this dirt pile. Until then you have the happiness of MAYBE making them, and after someone will then pass them on. Now if they annoy you, that's another story.

Kay said...

Reality checks are not usually fun, but they definitely serve a purpose. I have already pared/purged down with most things, just not my fabric stash. I did a major purge of "everything" literally about 8 years ago. I have been able to avoid gathering new stuff unless it really speaks to me. I joined the local guild, began making quilts on a more consistent basis, and have built a nice stash. This year I am determined to sew my stash, only purchasing or acquiring new if I need it to complete a project. I did add some solids and blenders last year in preparation for 2020. I love your Dumpster Diving series. Your quilts spark ideas for me to try. THanks

Threadbare Design said...

Having to de-stash another person's home is a sobering process. I have done it three times in the past two years, and I will have to do it again in the next few. I have no intention of leaving this to my kids. Therefore, I will sew what I have, sell or donate what I don't want and make sure everyone knows what to do with my machines when I am gone. This goes for the rest of my house as well, (except that I just started collecting Spode Christmas Tree china(LOL).

Quilting Babcia said...

Our quilt ministry group would be more than delighted to make up a donation quilt with these fabrics. Thanks to you for offering them up to willing quilters.

Unknown said...

Bless you for thinking of others. Our little quilting group makes Linas Quilts. We also make quilts for nursing homes, hospice and on and on. Would be honored to finish your work to pass on to someone in need.

Unknown said...

The above comment was not meant to be anonymous but byrd2837@gmail.com.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh!!! Plaid!!! Plaid is my favorite colors. you have so many great projects!!!

Ann said...

Good for you for sorting your projects.

Mystic Quilter said...

Very thought provoking post Julie!! I'm pleased that you're finding good homes for your unwanted projects. I have a contact who works with women in prisons here in NZ and I've handed over lots of books and fabrics in the past few years, I felt pretty good that they were going to be handed on and not sit in drawers giving me guilt trips each time I walked past!

Unknown said...

If you haven't already found a home for your fabric, I would love to finish your project(s).