One row at a time
I started stitching the long
previously-sewn-together-length-of-purple-scraps
to the bands with turquoise, green,
and the die cut triangle in square blocks.
After so many hours of sewing 1.5" scraps end to end,
it was a joy to stitch the long lengths together
and see the top begin to appear on the design wall.
Auditioning inner and outer border options.
(at least six inner borders had already been voted off the island
by the time I pulled this one from the stash)
And then there was a finished quilt top.
52" wide by 64" long (plus or minus)
(and if you're wondering, I had roughly
700 inches of purples left after finishing the top)
Another view of the top . . .
(you may recognize the border fabric
from the back of Grape Pansy Caper No. 2)
I found this fabric in the stash to use for binding -
turned it out was also designed by Chong-Ahwang.
So now the 12.5" squares for a scrappy back
are pinned to the design wall
waiting to be sewn together.
* * *
For those who have commented that I am on a roll,
it does indeed feel good to move these projects forward.
They've been in various stages of near-completion
for weeks (some for months)
and I'm delighted to have them ready
(or nearly ready) for quilting.
Working in short bursts is definitely paying off.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“You should love turning points. They’re called edges.
That’s when the magic happens. That’s the space you’ve been waiting for.”
Victoria Erickson







12 comments:
I love it! Everything is coming together perfectly!
You can just pop this right in the mail to me, Julie. Love it!!! Super scrappy AND in one of my favorite color combos. :o))
What an awesome quilt! These scrappy quilts are real gemstones. Sometimes I like my leftovers quilts more than the original planned quilts.
That is a most beautiful quilt. In love! I just bought some of that pretty fabric that you plan to use for the binding. It may not find as beautiful home in my work as it has found in yours.
Each new DD becomes my new favorite. This one is GORGEOUS! Love the colors, movement, and design. I'm envious of your stash; I must admit. You make great use of scraps. I want some of that binding fabric - but alas I'm on a new fabric fast because my allotted storage won't hold another piece. 2020 will be the year I reduced my stash by being creatively productive. Enjoy the holiday season.
This came together beautifully. I'm a little surprised the leftover purple strips didn't end up on the back! Guess they will be the seeds of yet another quilt... ;-)
Beautiful colours. My idea of a lovely scrappy quilt.
That is really creative. Love the happy colors.
Love the quilt Julie, I'm a fan of purple, green and aqua. I actually love the backing as much as the quilt top!! Binding fabric - super!
'And then there was a finished quilt top.' So much fun to reach that stage! This is absolutely a Julie quilt, the colors, style and look. Wonderful!:)
A beautiful way to use your scraps. Congratulations on moving this along. I had some of your binding fabric once upon a time.
Such gorgeous colors and all the little scraps make a very rich and luxuriant quilt!!! You do make magic with threads and fabric!!!
Post a Comment