Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Visible Progress




Amazing what gets done when 
there is nothing big on the calendar
so I could sit and sew.

This is how things looked after I added
the Block B (green and yellow) elements
and the small two-square connectors.
(background and lightest purple)




And this is how the design wall looked
after I added the scrappy background squares.





Rows 1 and 2 sewn and ready to be pressed.

(the stained and dirty ironing board fabric on the left 
will soon be replaced with the fabric on the right)




Here's a detail photo showing the corner of
Rows 1-4 sewn together.

(yes, some of the background squares
were cut from scrappy pieced sky strata
leftover from one of the barn quilts)




This shows the size difference between
 those four sewn rows and
the remaining five unsewn rows.




The final five rows have now been sewn 
and after they are pressed
I'll be able to finish assembling the quilt top.

(I'm not waiting for the rest of 
the Granny Cabin quilt along schedule -
I wasn't participating for the prizes anyway)



I cut three 12.5" squares from 
each of the twelve different fabrics.

I can already tell that I'm going 
to love Halcyon's scrappy back.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess.  Just breathe and have faith that everything will work out for the best.”

Author Unknown

8 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow! You've been busy, Julie. Love, love, LOVE that scrappy back!

EYSchmitt said...

What a lovely quilt and the back is just outstanding! I love seeing your progression photos....because don't we all just love 'process'? You are a busy beaver!

Preeti said...

The Plaidish quilt top is very eye-catching. The backing fabrics are so yummy. Speaking of the stained ironing board fabric, what will you do with the discarded one? That fabric with closely packed houses/rooftops in a city makes me want paint with fabric colors.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love the scrappy blues instead of the white. Love the squares on the back.

audrey said...

Wow! So much good progress! It really does feel good to be able to take advantage of available time. So many times it's terribly broken up and then it's hard to get back in the 'flow' of things!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

These 'grannycabin' blocks look great! I do like your variety of blue fabrics for the backgrounds, a nice change from the lighter ones I've seen. And the backing will be a delight too!

Mari said...

Looking good so far! I love the blue backgrounds. The backing could be another top in itself, but it will be wild on the back. Have a good weekend.

Kaja said...

How lovely to have a good run at your quilting, and to make such good progress.