Friday, October 4, 2019

Redefining my Focus . . .




As typically  happens after a week away at JCCFS
(and a long weekend away with family)
I need/want to re-visit my project list
and waiting fabric pulls.

The biggest decision is that I'm going to take
several projects already underway and
re-design them to become 60" x 60" table toppers.

That way we'll have a different one to use each month

AND 

I have a year-long-date-oriented project list 
to help  keep me on task.
 (see list at the end of this post)

* * *

This revised approach meant that
I needed to change my plan for Halcyon 
(my Granny Cabin qal project)
 from a 48" x 60" lap quilt to
the designer's 58" x 58" throw design.

A new coloring sheet was completed and 
a few more squares of certain colors were cut.

Now I'm ready to sit and sew.





I also pulled a scrappy assortment from the stash 
that suits Halcyon's color palette.

I'll go with the 10.5" square approach
so I can mix these colors around.

* * *

Shifting gears for a moment --





Some of you may have seen this photo on IG.

When we met up with my sister and her husband,
I delivered these four bags filled with 17 quilts.
(and four recently-turned walnut bowls)

One bag for each of the nephews and their family
and one for my sister and her husband.

They all love quilts and live where it is cold.
(except one family that now lives in FL)

It makes me so happy to know these
 will be appreciated and enjoyed.

After all, isn't that the real reason we make quilts?




Back to my revised game plan --
I came up with a way to incorporate
all three of the JCCFS strata leftovers into
ONE quilt instead of three smaller projects

Meet FAUVE (adj:  Vivid in color)

The former wall quilt will became the center 
and I'll use the long columns as borders.

I need to play with the inner stop border
and the outer border fabrics - I like 
this BOB but these strips are too narrow.



And in the Squirrel Club department,
I've been cutting 1.5" squares 
for several weeks now --
Wanda and Lynn D. and so many others
are making 1" postage stamp blocks
using solids as the alternate squares --
and we already know I have a thing


When I found this 2012 tutorial online 
I knew I would go this route instead. 

I will need to make 48 of these 12" blocks
with 144 1.5" squares in each one
for a lap quilt that measures 48" x 60"

At this point I have cut about 1/4 
of the tiny squares that will be needed.

But since I am delighted to have found
 a plan that works for me,
I've named this one BONHEUR 
which means "happy."

* * *


There's a lot of other pondering 
and planning going on in the background;.

In between cutting out pieces and parts
for a number of waiting projects
and stitching the blocks for Halcyon,
I want (need) to spend some time quilting with Max.

* * *

One stitch at a time.


* * *


Recap of My Table Topper Game Plan for 2020

January - Squares Aplenty
(minimal redesign needed for sewn top - 
back pieced - ready to quilt)

February - TBD
(waiting project not yet shared)

March -  Bemused
(2" scrappy postage stamp ala Red Pepper Quilts - 
sewing started - not yet shared)

April - Reciprocity (side one)
(top sewn - ready to quilt this two-sided project - 
formerly known as the Double-Sided Four Patch)

May - Reciprocity (side two)
(back sewn - ready to quilt this two-sided project -
formerly known as the Double-Sided Four Patch)

June - Halcyon
(Granny Cabin QAL project - work in progress)

July - Frabjous
(fabrics pulled for coins style design - not yet shared )

August - Farmland
(another waiting project - 
Crazy Quilt design from CFQ book - 
not yet shared here on the blog)

September - Shift Happens
(top and back sewn - ready to quilt)

October - Sweater Weather (side one)
(waiting project not yet shared)

November - Sweater Weather (side two)
(waiting project not yet shared)

December - Merry and Bright
(waiting project not yet shared - 
Christmas fabrics cut and ready to sew)




Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“There is something in every one of you that waits and listens for the sound of the genuine in yourself.  It is the only true guide you will ever have.  And if you cannot hear it, you will all of your life spend your days on the ends of strings that somebody else pulls.”  

Howard Thurman


8 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Bags of fabulousness for your family and a brilliant plan for 2020 which is sure to be SEW much fun!!!

LA Paylor said...

Julie! what a full post of work, ideas, organization, and plans. Good luck to you in achieving the new goals and we'll be watching to see what you make. LeeAnna

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Looks like you have lots of exciting projects planned. Have fun with them!

Julierose said...

I do love the idea of a monthly tablecloth--that is quite a commitment...;000
Will be watching how they all come together..
I am going to be making a 2.5" postage stamp one when my vision clears enough to sew again (I am assuming soon--fingers crossed!! so sick of this-- twiddling thumbs, fidgeting, antsy!!
( S I G H i n g deeply)...hugs, Julierose

Magpie Sue said...

Will you be following the color placement guidelines from the square Dance tutorial? (The consistent dark from the center to the corners.) I've been making postage stamp stars for over a year now (two?); maybe it's time to change up my tiny squares... ;-)

audrey said...

I love that you gave away so many quilts! How sweet is that.:) It really does feel good when you know absolutely that they will be loved and appreciated. This post was a good reminder to go through my projects and 'possible' projects again. I've been raiding fabrics from the stacks left and right. Might be a good time to determine what needs to get dumped back into the stash totes and what is actually priority!

Ann said...

It's wonderful to have family that wants and can use our quilts but my goodness, you have a huge stack. Plus the bowls. They are very fortunate.
And you have so many delightful projects in progress. Very exciting.

Kaja said...

How lovely to be giving all those quilts to your family, knowing they will be put to good use. And it clears the deck for your new projects - it's a great list and as always I love your willingness to reassess as you go along.