Friday, September 27, 2019

Conundrum - The Flimsy



This is where Conundrum was earlier in the week.

And despite making these decisions,
I shared that the jury was still deliberating.




While the deliberations continued,
I kept sewing sets of four triangles into blocks.

(it took longer to press the many seams in 
the 35 blocks than it did to sew them together)




After seeing the pressed but untrimmed blocks 
laying on the table, the jury came back with a verdict.

NO sashing -- NO cornerstones

So the blocks were squared to 6.5" 
and laid out on the design wall accordingly.

And I realized almost immediately
exactly where this wall quilt will hang -
on the entry wall of my design studio.

(the blue kaleidoscope quilt has been there for years
and it's time for a bit of a shake up)




Optic Strings and Conundrum waiting patiently
on the ironing table for their turn to be pressed.




What a transformation!

30.5" wide x 42" long

And yes, I did stitch all around the edges
to help stabilize the many, many seam ends.




The secondary designs move and shift
depending on where you are standing
and whether or not you squint a bit.

Not too shabby for a stack of 
sacrificial scrappy corner segments.



I've chosen this well-aged Keiko Goke for Yuwa
"Plaid Stripe" yardage for the backing.

* * *

Like Optic Strings, Conundrum is
part of the UandU Challenge.

There are a few linked posts
at the bottom of this page
if you want to read Conundrum's back story.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Because most of the time, things that are worth doing are either massively inconvenient, exhausting or terrifying.  Does this mean you shouldn’t do them?  Absolutely not.  Step out of your current reality and then take another step.  Believe.  Expand.  Ride out those chances while you still can.”
Victoria Erickson

14 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

Turned out fantastic. I guess this Netflix series is almost over. Time for another one!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Interestingly enough, Julie, I'm not surprised that you chose the "slap it all together" route for this quilt top. Inspired by, but not a replica of the original quilt. Nicely done! It will be a wonderful welcome to the design studio... Once it's quilted and bound.

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is truly amazing that these bits are all so gorgeous playing together. The blocks look like they were sewn onpoint. It is a little stunner and I am glad you will give it a prominent location.

EYSchmitt said...

Now you have two happy and exciting sister quilts! Inspiring work all around!

Mary Ellen said...

Oh, my stars. This is wonderful. So much movement and color!

Magpie Sue said...

That backing is indeed perfect for this quilt. And didn't those scraps turn into a wonderful thing!! Great quote today too. :-)

Cherie in St Louis said...

Oh boy, I like Conundrum better than optic strings...and I didn't think I would like it at all, lol!! Goes to show the magic happens when it all comes together ;-)

Robin said...

Wow! So fun and wonderful to look at. You are going to enjoy seeing this cute bright piece on you wall all the time.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Love it! It's very dynamic without the sashing to break up the blocks.

Millie said...

I like this one a lot!

Mystic Quilter said...

Such an exciting small quilt to appear out off the small offcuts! I love it!!

Kaja said...

Fantastic! You made all the right decisions and ended up with this bright, dynamic beauty. Best use of 'scraps' ever.

Mari said...

Wow, so much to see! The "parent" quilt looks like it's dancing, but this one looks like twirling. Much better than being in the trash! Nice work!

audrey said...

I can see why you wanted to go with this layout. It's just incredible Julie! Love it so much. Lots of good energy and movement here. Really stunning finish.:)