Monday, February 25, 2019

Major Change of Plans and a PSA



This is DH's latest woodturning work
hanging above our mantel.

Learning Curve measures 32" square
and features woodturning, reverse beading, 
pyrography, and a variety of surface finishes
and represents an entirely new approach
beyond what he has done up until now.




I think it is absolutely wonderful.

He already has two variations he wants to make
which is always a good sign.

(double click to enlarge the photos
so you can see the detail work)


* * *

So why am I featuring his work instead of mine?

Well . . . 

Here's my story which includes 
an important PSA note for all of you:

I've been down and out with a UTI since Saturday the 16th.

My doctor called in prescriptions on the17th
but by Wednesday the 20th it was obvious to all
that things were not going in the right direction.

Blood work, urinalysis, and a
pelvic/abdominal CT happened
while the 102+ fever raged on and on and on.

The blood work came back nearly normal.

The urinalysis confirmed that I did indeed have a UTI.

(the symptoms are pretty hard to miss)

The CT ruled out a case of diverticulitis.

(so grateful)

But I still felt H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E.

And then late Saturday afternoon
my doctor called with an additional set of test results -
a urine culture test 
which involves a 3-4 day turnaround.

It, too, confirmed the UTI

BUT

it ALSO showed that I had a RESISTANT UTI.

(go read the article - you need to know about this)

No wonder the fever was still raging.

The antibiotics used for a regular UTI 
have no impact on a resistant one.

Now that the antibiotic has been changed,
I am starting to think a bit more clearly,
my vision is less fuzzy,
and my appetite is beginning to return.

Oh, and the fever is decreasing.

I am no where near back to normal and
have had to cancel my local trunk show
and my visit to Scrap Club 
hosted by Kevin the Quilter in MO.

I've not been in the studio for over a week
and the pile of paper that has come into the house
for sorting, paying, and filing is getting taller by the day
so hopefully in a couple three days . . .

* * *

My parting words of advice to each of you
are that if you have what you believe is a UTI,
ask your doctor to run BOTH tests
so you find out sooner if you're dealing
with a resistant version.


Quiltdivajulie

22 comments:

Debbie said...

So sorry to heard of how much time you have been sick, but so grateful the doctor found the reason. I was a clinical lab tech for years so I know of this type of infection. With the right meds you will bounce back. A lesson to remember in your words and in general, we never know how quickly things can turn on us. I lived thru such a time.
I was wondering how your lecture and classes went. Sure how you can get another chance to do them.
Tell your hubby, his work is amazing! I love my woodworker too:)

Nancy said...

Your husband's work is beautiful- very compelling. I'm so very sorry to hear about your illness. Not only do you feel awful (and it's scary), but I know you did a TON of work to prepare for your trunk shows and travels. So I'm sure you're disappointed, too. Do hope the new meds will do the job and you will regain your health quickly. all the best!

Frog Quilter said...

Hope you get well sooner than later. Hugs!

Robby said...

Wishing you a now speedy recovery. Ugh, such a miserable thing those UTIs.

Katie said...

Your husband's work is beautiful! I thought your next story would be one that involved a quilt inspired by it. I'm sorry to hear it was not something that fantastic. Resistant bugs are scary, but thankfully the doctor did the culture (being a microbiologist and trained in the clinical lab, I know exactly how long that can take (every second counts when you have to pee all the time!!!) but also how amazingly valuable that information can be) and I'm glad to hear you are on the mend. You'll get caught up, in the meantime, get the rest you need and try not to stress about what isn't being done. You've got a lot of quilty friends (and otherwise, I'm sure!) sending you good, healing vibes!

LA Paylor said...

OMG that is scary. Also I wonder if our new low water washers are not truly getting our clothes clean sometimes, leading to trouble. I'm so glad you're getting better, take the time you need to recover. I've never seen woodworking as interesting as that.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh gosh!! glad you are on the mend.

I am so glad you showed us your husbands work - what a talent!!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

So sorry to hear about your difficult UTI situation. I hope the new med gets it taken care of quickly and that you feel better soon. Your husband's wood turning project is amazing - Love it!

Kyle said...

Hope you bounce back soon. Your husbands work is beautiful and very innovative

Jackie said...

I feel your pain. I have been plagued with UTI's for many years. My last on lasted for a month as the meds didn't work.
Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Magpie Sue said...

Yoiks! Glad to hear you're on the mend but what a shame you had to cancel those two events that would have been so much fun. Here's to a speedy recovery now that you know what you're dealing with. (Larry's work is amazing- as usual!)

audrey said...

Love the wood art! Very cool! Hope you get better soon. Sounds like a miserable thing to be going through!

Paulette said...

So sorry about the UTI, but glad you're finally on the upswing and will feel a lot better soon. I've had two lab tests myself since November for possible UTIs but nothing found (they did a culture with the first one and that was neg also). Never had the fever or brain fog, so my issue is/was apparently something else, which is just taking time and other dietary/lifestyle adjustments to run its course. Your husband's wood turned art piece is beautiful!

Linda Swanekamp said...

First, the wall piece is stunning. Second, I had a similar experience a couple of years back. Since I was a public school teacher (hardly any bathroom breaks), I have a tendency to get UTIs. Usually gets treated easily- but the last one I had- went to the doctor, got meds, got worse, ended up in the ER with some real nasty medicine then. It came out of nowhere in the middle of the night. I always carry water bottles and drink, drink, drink, but it doesn't always help. Thanks for getting the message out!

Bambi Pearson said...

Hang in there Julie. Sorry you feel so rotten. BTW your hubby's work is beautiful!

Mystic Quilter said...

First of all Larry's piece is stunning!! I hope we'll see his next one please.
Your horrible issues with the UTI - I have had these before (like Linda, there is a tendency there) and just recovering from one myself but when this crops up I'm down to the docs, sample taken and sent to the lab. They give me an antibiotic and within 48hrs the results of the culture are back showing which antibiotic (if any) the bug is resistant too, the antibiotic can then be changed, right there and then. I should think after your experience it's going to take longer to regain equilibrium, I do hope you feel better and better each day.

Judy in Michigan said...

Sorry to hear that you've had such a nasty infection. Glad you are on the mend. Be good to yourself!!

Cindy said...

Larry's work is AWESOME!!!!! Hope you are feeling better soon!!!! Now go have a nap...

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Wonderful wall art! Hope you are on the mend very soon, x

Nann said...

Oh, Julie, what a horrible malady. Hope you will be back to your regular routine soon. Sorry you had to miss the trip. P.S. Larry's artistry is great!

Mary Ellen said...

What a mess. So sorry about the UTI. I have only had one in my life and it was nothing short of pure hell. I am sad you had to cancel Scrap Club but tbe number one priority is your health ane well being. I hope you and Kevin can figure out another time.

Barb said...

oh sorry to hear! thanks for the info and I hope you are feeling even better now.
Love the wood turning piece - wow