Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Layout Begins for 70273 Blocks from 2018 Davies Quilt Show



When I tallied up the 70273 Project blocks made
there were 30 small ones (3.5" x 6.5")
plus 50 medium ones (6.5" x 9.5")
and 6 large ones (9.5" x 12.5").

Now how to arrange them?




I made several sketches
and played around with the math on paper
before deciding to use the six large blocks
as the quilt's anchor points.

This was the first layout option.




This was option two.

They both worked for the plan I had in mind
but neither of them excited me.




And then I tried this -- which I like and will use.




I used my trusty plate system
to sort the medium and small blocks
so I could piece 30 large blocks.

This approach used each and every one 
of the blocks made during the show.




Now there are thirty large blocks
waiting to be pressed and laid out on the design wall.

From that point it won't take long
to turn these into a quilt top.

Projected size is 54" wide x 72" long
before adding the 2" borders all around.

The finished top will be shared with
the Uncommon Threads quilt guild
at the end of January.

The guild members are making blocks 
for a second Memphis-based quilt 
for the 70273 Project 
along with the residents of 
Robinwood Retirement Resort.

Chris is going to quilt the Davies quilt
and I am going to quilt the second quilt.

* * *

And the last time Jeanne updated her totals,
over 60,000 of the Project's 70,273 lives
have now been commemorated with XX blocks!

Our Davies quilt will commemorate another 86 
and the second quilt will commemorate even more.

One life at a time . . .


Quiltdivajulie

4 comments:

Kathy S. said...

YES!!! Your layout decision excites me too! Can't see where the blocks land and how. Your design skills are always gorgeous! Happy 70273!

em's scrapbag said...

Love these liberated X's. Can't wait to sew how they all come together.

Ann said...

I love layout ideas. So fun to see how you work through them, too.

Mystic Quilter said...

Magnificent effort from all who are participate!