Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Planning Ahead


In October, I'll be teaching Sujata's Peppermint Pinwheels
from Cultural Fusion Quilts -- so I'm making step-out blocks
to show the students how things look at various stages.

I decided it was high time to use that deeply discounted 
Christmas fabric I gathered over the past two years,
so I started by cutting twelve pairs of fabrics 
for those step-out blocks.

Two blocks are sewn - only ten more to prepare for class.




I'll use this elegant panel as the back's focal area
and the other four fabrics will be used 
to create a scrappy surround.

The candy canes will become the binding, 
or at least I think they might.

And while the holiday fabrics 
were strewn about on the cutting table . . . 




. . . I decided to go ahead and cut pieces and parts
for three additional Christmas quilts.

One will be a 16-patch.

48 blocks require 48 pairs of fabrics.

At this point there are two sets on each plate.

I'll be able to use a strip-construction method
for those with WOF strips.

The others with shorter varying lengths
 will be cut and pieced square by square.




I'll use these reds for a giant four-patch back
and the green should work well as binding.




I also cut 28 pairs of 2.5" WOF strips 
to make another 2x4 top.

This one will clearly be much scrappier
with bolder and more varied designs
so I think I'll be okay with this version.

I also have a plan hatching to convert
the 7" x 8" blocks to 8" squares,
but I won't know if that works 
until I start stitching and can test my thought.




I'll use these greens for backing
and the red plaid for binding.

(all plans are subject to change as things progress)




I also cut loads of 1.5" strips 
(some WOF but most from leftovers and scraps)
for Dumpster Diving IV - The Christmas Edition.

I have a design in mind that will utilize 
two and maybe three of the lights shown on the right.

We'll see how that plan evolves.




I'll use a mixture of these reds for the scrappy back.

And that wavy chevron stripe 
should make awesome binding.


* * *

I figure whatever is left over after sewing these tops,
 piecing their backs and then trimming 
away the post-quilting excesses 
can be turned into a string quilt for December 2019.

It feels SO good to have these four ready to go
instead of seeing that stack of yardage on the shelf.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Go to your studio and make stuff."
Fred Babb

12 comments:

Nann said...

That green-with-black squiggles piece are mere scraps in my stash, though the colorways I have are orange and yellow. (Benartex, I think.) You are on a Christmas roll! A panel for the back is a good idea! I will tune in for the next chapter.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Believe it or not, I had bought seaglass fabric with matching solids a long while ago to make this Sujata quilt and it is sitting in a bag. If I was close enough, I would take the class to get it cut out and done!

audrey said...

Your Christmas fabrics are so fun and joyful looking! Great way to get a jump start on the holidays and hopefully have the the work behind you when they get here!

Sue McQ said...

You are an inspiration! Blessings!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

what an amazing array of Xmas fabrics! I am greatly impressed! Love your quilt journeys from the last post. Thanks for sharing your insight.

Kyle said...

You've collected some bright and fun Christmas fabrics. It will be nice to have them seen together. You're so good about resurrecting older stash.

Ann said...

What a fun class. Peppermint candies for Christmas. You remind me to get started with my Christmas projects, too.

Bambi Pearson said...

You make my head spin-lol! All the planning and cutting you do, it's a wonder you have time to sleep. Hope all of it goes the way you plan. Have a happy scrappy day!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Such pretty fabrics and you are all set for your Christmas stitching.

Cathy said...

What a good plan. I challenged myself to use my holiday fabrics this year and haven't met the challenge yet. There's always next year. Strangely enough I have a UFO I was calling Peppermint Twist (made of peppermint fabrics) but made like Kathy Doughty's Vintage Spin block which looks similar but not a stack and whack block. At least I assume it's stack and whack. I don't have Sujata Shah's book.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

you are so organized!!! and those fabrics are great!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Ho, ho, hoping you have sleigh full of fun with these Christmas quilts!!