Friday, August 31, 2018

Placemats and August Recap



Younger son asked if I could make him
some new placemats,  so I went 
with a whole-cloth reversible approach.

This is the front of placemat one.

(in yoga and meditation, there are multiple references
to squirrel brain leaping from branch to branch
instead of staying focused -- 
so he found this fabric quite amusing)



And this is the back of placemat one.

Stitched using Leah Day's Loose Weave design.




This is the front of placemat two --




And this is the back of placemat two.




This is one side of placemat three --




And this is the reverse side.

I stitched Jamie Wallen's swirls 
as a long diagonal through the center
with matchstick fill on both sides.

It took a while, but I like the results!




Now for the sake of continuity,
here is my August recap for 18 in 2018.

As shared in a recent post,
I have started work on Panelmania -
this year's Davies Manor annual challenge. 

The top is sewn together
so I'm ready to start on the scrappy back .


(a) I completed and shipped off the last of 
the eight doll quilts for A Doll Like Me;

(b) I've received a sweet thank you note 
from Misty in MN for her very purple quilt;

and (c) the final group of 5 quilts for Jack's Basket
have been shipped which brings their total to thirteen.


I also created two unexpected quilt tops 
in Amanda Jean Nyberg's Scrap Vortex style 
that were not on the list at all:


And after three months, 
I am now finished with my PT sessions -- 
with the caveat that I continue 
to do the stretches and exercises
two to three times a week here at home.

Given how long it took to get back this far,
I'm pretty sure I'll be compliant with that request.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"At the end of the day, Mother Nature has only one question for us: 'What life did you nurture today?' "
Robert Brault

7 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

These are gorgeous. I'm still trying to imagine my son asking me for placemats or even using one! Good for you!

9658 Textiles said...

Nice! I have been trying to get some place mats done for the cabin this summer too, i just haven't squeezed them into the schedule! yours are awesome! I love the quilting. I didn't think about using them as an area for creative quilting! very inspirational.

Paulette said...

Beautiful! Between the sunflowers and the swirly quilting, I'm getting a lovely Van Gogh feeling to the placemats.

Ann said...

I'm glad your PT is going well. The placemat are a good place to practice machine stitching. They are lovely.

Kyle said...

I'd say you stayed pretty focused this month. I like the idea of the whole cloth placements. Saved tons to time for something that could get daily use.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh nice placemats Julie and love your quilting!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I am loving the quilting on those placemats!! Did you use regular batting or anything special in them?