Saturday, March 10, 2018

Rise and Roost - The Quilt




Here it is - the finished quilt!

48" x 62"




Started in 2016 with Sophie's Old Macdonald Mystery Sampler
that combined Block Lotto monthly blocks
with  RSC monthly color prompts.




Of course, I didn't follow all of Sophie's directions.

I changed out a few of the blocks I didn't care for
and I altered the layout to suit myself.




Instead of creating pointy Dresdens,
my sunflowers were created using Sujata's methods
and I turned this one into the summer sun.




And the pink flowers in my quilt 
were spiky plants in Sophie's version.




The quilt's name comes from these words 
in the barn's large haymow doors.

(my barn is quite different than the one in the directions)




And here are the two sister quilts together.

Sunflower Summer on the left
and
Rise and Roost on the right.

I LOVE THEM BOTH!

* * *

Linking this finish with The Rainbow Scrap Challenge
where the current color of the month
features lime, acid, and yellow greens.

CLICK HERE to see more cool stuff
being created by others in the RSC group.

* * *

Woo-Hoo!
I can now cross Rise and Roost



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Ideas are the wings that change my awareness and give me something to look forward to."
Ella Wilson

21 comments:

Dorothy said...

Love it !!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow, these are such pretty, adorable quilts beautifully quilted. Also love those scraps.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Just fabulous quilt. You took so many disparate parts and wove them all together. What about those mutant clothespins?

Nann said...

Wonderful! (I remember the Block Lotto butterfly--I had such trouble with it that I made just one. I like your version.)

scraphappy said...

Beautiful!

Mari said...

Just a beautiful finish, Julie. I love everything about this quilt, but that sun is really great. And the chickens! These make a beautiful pair.

Kathy H said...

Beautiful! I like looking at all the different sections. Just love the whole quilt.

Cathy said...

They are both awesome, fun quilts! Congrats!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Two beautiful quilts, I love your sky!

Havplenty said...

You did a fantastic job with this quilt using your own creative eye. Nice.

gayle said...

I just love your spin(s) on that fabulous mystery. These quilts are just pure smiles expressed in fabric!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are both wonderful - so much interesting detail to look at! I especially love how you made the sun/sunflower block!

Cathy said...

I like how you put your own spin on Old MacDonald. And the quilting is awesome! Congrats on another finish!

Louise said...

So great to see this quilt in it's final glory! The chickens are my favorite blocks :) And are those GIANT clothepins holding it to your fence??

Janice Smith said...

Totally delightful quilt . . . so cheerful and colorful!!!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Congratulations on your beautiful finish!!:)

Mystic Quilter said...

Glorious finish Julie! Love the pieced chooks.

Kaja said...

I love them both too!

Raewyn said...

Hehe I love them both!! Beautiful finish - so inspiring to see these quilts. Beautiful quilting on them too. PS the chicken are so cute.

Ruth said...

I love them both too and I really love, love love your chickens.

Janie said...

Yes, congratulations, a double finish!
I do like the sunflower/sun, all the blocks really.
And great arrangement Julie.