Friday, June 30, 2017

Poppyseed's Quilt - The Flimsy



The HST top has been sewn together
AND it has a new name.

The parents-to-be have been calling their
unborn baby boy Poppyseed
until they settle on his real world name.

So this quilt will be known as Poppyseed's Quilt.




And since animals play a role in Poppyseed's nursery,
this animal print backing from the stash
was the perfect choice.




Here's a close up shot so you can see more.




I especially like the text phrases
that create each of the animals.




And the large jungle tree.




Here is the lion . . . 




and the elephant . . . 


and the zebra.

fabric information on the selvage edge

For those who asked,
the HSTs were die cut to finish at 3"
using 44 different fabrics.

They are laid out 17 wide x 22 long
meaning there are 374 HSTs in the quilt top
which measures 51" wide by 66" long.

The best part is I have already decided
how I want to quilt this so it is ready before
Poppyseed's projected November arrival.

* * *

Over the weekend,
I'll be linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge
where June's color has been yellow
and July's color (just announced) will be blue.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining it."
Hannah Arendt

16 comments:

Kaja said...

Fantastic backing fabric!

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautiful quilt Julie, what a lucky little boy to snuggle under this quilt and I love the name Poppyseed!! I remember seeing the backing fabric on a blog post from you some time back, you had a few pieces of the lovely Grunge fabric I think.

Pamela Arbour said...

Love the backing fabric as well as the front. Perfect combination!

Gale Bulkley said...

This is a very beautiful top.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I really like this quilt top and the backing will make it a wonderful 2 sided adventure for little poppyseed

cspoonquilt said...

All the variety in the blue / greens and gold / yellows really make the top sparkle! And the backing is really fun. Best wishes to Poppyseed and his new parents!

Louise said...

Great backing fabric! And the name is just right :)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Wonderful quilt! And what a find that backing fabric was, it's amazing!

PaulaB quilts said...

A fine finish for the top. In the pic it seems to have seed-like fabrics,scattered through. Love the colors and the back. Such appropriate sayings for the animals and the tree. Excellent choice!

scraphappy said...

Love Poppyseed's quilt. I had an Appleseed myself, so I understand the concept. Great fabric too!

Sharon said...

Congrats on a finish! It's a wonderful quilt, so bright and happy. I love the rather random setting of the HSTs. Baby Poppyseed will enjoy exploring this quilt. And the backing is fun too. Very clever images that make one smile!

Angie said...

Wonderful quilt! Love the color combo and shading on the front and the safari fabric for the backing is perfect!

Nell's Quilts said...

Poppyseed's quilt will be beautiful front and back.That backing fabric will provide hours of fun exploring the images.

Mari said...

Awesome, and what a wonderful name for it!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great quilt! I love the animal prints too.

Kevin the Quilter said...

What a great quilt! I love playing with 2 color quilts myself!