Saturday, March 26, 2016

Scrappy Saturday - Purple Piecing




I finally found the energy to stitch the purple scraps together.

Four small blocks combine to make a 14" block.




Here are the first four blocks together on the design wall.

I plan to make 12 big blocks for a 3 x 4 layout.

(inspired by the liberated wedding quilt in
Freddy and Gwen Collaborate Again -
their second book)

(all photos should supersize if double-clicked)




Next I cut three 7.5" squares from the purple scrappy fabric.




These were framed with black on white prints.




I made three blocks for this project
that will eventually yield a 63" x 72" quilt.




First eleven of 28 blocks for
the Modern Bento Box quilt.

Once I have all 28 blocks made,
they'll be quartered and laid out for real.

(design by Brenda Ratliff 
in the summer 2015 issue of Modern Patchwork)



I also finished this month's 6.5" violet blocks
for Sophie's Old MacDonald Mystery Sampler.

(see button in sidebar)




Eleven different purples from the stash.
(not the ones I originally pulled -
they were all too much alike)

Eleven different greens from the resource boxes
and eleven different yellows from the crumb boxes.
(meaning they were cut from scraps)




Here are my 24 completed blocks.

Sophie's layout calls for 99 blocks in all . . .


* * *


Linking up with 

Click the links to check out what the others have been stitching.




Quiltdivajulie

17 comments:

scraphappy said...

Oh my, so many pretty purples this month. Beautiful assortment in the pansy blocks.

Debbie said...

Beautiful purples! Love you collection of black and whites too!

Marly said...

Wow, Julie, you've made so many fabulous purple blocks this month. The pansies are wonderful, but I really love your collection of black on white fabrics.

Mari said...

Love those purple flowers! Glad to see that you're (almost?) back to normal. Great pictures!

gayle said...

So many gorgeous blocks!
I'm still thinking about starting Old MacDonald, but I'm getting further and further behind...

Cathy said...

I really, really love your bento box blocks! What a great, productive month you've had.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Many PURPLE scraps made many PURPLE blocks. All looking grand!!

Deb A said...

Those pansy blocks are beautiful. Great selection of purples you got to play with this month.

Sally Trude said...

I love the liberated wedding rings, but having pansies for the wedding makes it awesome.

Peggyinno said...

Wow! You have been very busy! I don't know where to start! All the blocks are outstanding, but I really like the Bento Box. Can't wait to see it all mixed up!

Sharon said...

Oh my, so much wonderful purple-ness! I love all your projects, but especially the pansies and the lib. wedding rings! Glad to hear that you're feeling better enough to get some sewing done! Now I want to go play with purple scraps!

Kaja said...

I'm glad you've found some energy - you definitely seem to have been pretty productive! It all looks great, as always. :-)

Beausoleil Quilts said...

Your violet blocks look great, The yellow centres are just perfect.

LA Paylor said...

I like it all! Big surprise, heh heh. The rings are really striking and graphic, color against black and white is always good, but with the rings I get a mix of line too. Now lets talk about the zinger, the orange... cheater...we haven't done orange yet...

Sheila said...

Oh my! I love, love, LOVE all your purple blocks! So striking with black and white prints.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love all your wonderful purples Julie, the blocks glow!

June D said...

Beautiful - yes the blocks glow. Magical fabric/color choices.