Last week Preeti of SewPreetiQuilts
shared her All Spruced Up finish.
I commented and she replied
and one thing led to another.
I've wanted to make one of Amy's tree quilts for a long time
and I decided there is no time like THIS FALL.
So I pulled out my resource boxes of orange and yellow.
It didn't take very long to come up with
twelve rather eclectic pairs.
I used bits and pieces from my brown crumb box
to add a different trunk to each of the sets.
But for my quilt,
which will be slightly smaller than the tutorial's,
I need 25 pairs of fabrics, not twelve.
So I opened up the green and gold resource boxes . . .
I had an easy time choosing thirteen sets of green and gold
and more bits and pieces of brown for trunks.
Since this will be a scrappy stash-buster quilt,
I looked for larger pieces of leftover backings
and aging yardage to create a scrappy back.
The three on the left will form the back
and the herringbone piece on the right
will make a terrific binding.
As time permits, I'll start cutting the requisite parts
for this totally unplanned but long overdue
Squirrel Club project with a goal
to start making the blocks in early October.
With any luck at all,
AUTUMN SPLENDOR
will a finished quilt
to enjoy before the leaves from our trees
have fallen to the ground.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"Anyone who thinks fallen leaves are dead
has never watched them dancing on a windy day."
Shira Tamir






13 comments:
I love those tree quilts. Have fun. Our leaves haven’t started to change color yet.
I'm gonna love watching this quilt happen!
Oh what fun! My squirrel projects have to this point been simply organizing my scrap baskets. I need to get busy before winter sets in!!
Aaargh, don't do this to me!!!!! Why is it that every quilt project in the Sworld always looks interesting …. lifetime squirrel Club member here :)
Oh yes!!! The squirrel in you has been chasing the squirrel in me. Love the warm hues - deep red, orange, yellow, golden, brown and rust. First I salivated and then I drooled. I am sure this will be like taking a trip to Vermont in the fall.
The original pattern requires that your start with two 8.5" squares of fabric. Most of my scraps are smaller than that. So I came up with a plan to address that concern. Will share in my blogpost - not sure when. Life's crazy and the Bloggers Quilt Festival is just around the corner. YIKES!!!
Oh my gosh...love all the fall colors and can't wait to see the end results.
I can see why you succumbed to the squirrel - those fabrics are wonderful together like you've planned. Can't wait to see your finish.
PS - I love how you refer to your scrappy stash as "resource boxes." One cannot create without resources, right?!!! It looks like you're rich in resources.
I wish I could watch over your shoulder as you pull fabric and separate out on plates. I could learn so much and I love what you are starting with. Looks so exciting!
I've made a quilt like that in holiday colors. It was a lot of fun to make! Enjoyed seeing you pick out your fabrics - you've chosen well - as my process is similar.
that squirrel pic is too cute and appropos
That's an adorable squirrel and it looks like you are ready to jump in fast and start sewing.
Beautiful fabrics. Plus I always love your paper plate method for organizing. So smart.
I have had this window open for a while... haha, busy, but I love looking at the fabric choices and this is going to be a lot of fun.
Aren't we blessed? I am so glad I found your blog.
Post a Comment