This is the last "corner" of my sewing studio
with my grandparents' dining room table
re-purposed into a giant ironing surface.
The raised wood top
(cut from a sheet of 3/4" plywood and 'lifted' with 2 x 6's)
was first covered with a layer of heavy duty aluminum foil.
(think about protection from the iron's steam)
I then added a layer of quilt batting
and a WOF length of B&W fabric.
The fabric edges are folded around the wood and stapled in place.
(I used a staple gun, not a household stapler)
The shoe shelf unit offer storage for my thread boxes
and a new home from my glass-front cabinet.
The quilt on the wall was hand pieced by my maternal grandmother.
(later hand quilted by "a group of church ladies")
In the corner, you can see my binding tree
and, on the wall, my paternal grandmother's quilt magazines in photo frames.
(template era patterns printed on tissue-thin paper)
To the right is the closet.
We removed the double doors to free up space,
especially since they were always open anyway.
When DH gave up the Rubbermaid shelf unit,
I nabbed it for use in my studio.
The box on the top shelf holds leftover binding.
Leftover quilt batting (second shelf) has been pre-cut to size
for use with my Swiffer and for making AAQI Priority Quilts.
* * *
Tomorrow, we move to the design studio!
Quiltdivajulie
3 comments:
Just went back and took the tours day 1 and 2, love your space. Beautiful, bright and open. A great space for creating!
Repurposing scraps for the Swiffer... brilliant! I want to move into your space. It's so YOU! :) Love it.
A binding tree, that's fabulous! I think I have the same dining room table. Can't wait to see what's next.
Post a Comment