Sunday, February 28, 2010

Studio Time

What could be better on a sunny Saturday morning than randomly stitching together batik strips for my Liberated Amish Get Together quilt?

Maybe having my beloved Quality Assurance Manager return to the studio for the first time in ages on a morning when I could have the window open (so long as the wind didn't blow too hard)?

Or perhaps discovering daffodil BUDS when I took a break and walked outside?

Or perhaps this glorious blue sky?

Definitely completing enough strips sets to cut the remaining triangles for the top.

And especially coming out with just the right amount!

The 3-1/2" bonus squares from the random strip set ends were an unexpected delight.

Finally, all the blocks (6-1/2" unfinished) are up on the design wall!

Next it was time to play with border ideas (I'll likely switch the red/yellow positions based on what is available in the stash - no new purchases allowed for this quilt). The blue/purple strips were pieced end to end to generate a skinny stop border (2 sides will be 2" and two will be 1-1/2").

This quilt named itself as I was pondering the borders ~ No Words Needed. I've started creating the name panel for the back . . .

All in all, it was a VERY good day! The sun is out again this morning, so even though today is housework, laundry, and paperwork, I won't mind too much. Now, if only this were a three-day weekend!

Quiltdivajulie

5 comments:

Twisted Quilts said...

Wow! I love those strips and the way you used them. I really like the randomness of your colors. Yes it was a very good day.

jovaliquilts said...

Totally wonderful day! Spring is coming! I love the idea of saying "no words" in words. :)

debbi d-w said...

I love this liberated Amish Quilt! Would it be o.k. with you if I posted it on my blog with credit and a link back to your blog or the liberated amish one? Thanks for letting me know.

Teresa said...

Great pictures and that is a fantastic quilt you are making. I love all the colors and the design.

Laura said...

Awesome pictures and great job on the quilt progress. I love those fabrics you used in the strip sets.