Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Very Special Project

Needed to make a small quilt . . .strings to the rescue!

It didn't take very long to piece
these nine 10.5" string blocks.

A 36" square of fusible batting and a yard of backing 
allowed me to prepare the quilt sandwich.

Following the seams with not-quite-in-the-ditch
walking foot stitching was just right.

Here is the finished and bound front . . .

. . . with a peek at the scrappy fabrics.

This photo of the back actually shows the quilting more clearly.

* * *

So why did I need to whip up this happy little quilt?

Because . . .

Our older son and his wife have adopted Darcy!
(she's a smart, sweet 7-month-old 8-pound rescue puppy)

When their beloved Tippy (age 18)
 traveled across The Bridge last summer,
she took her quilt with her.

That meant Darcy needed a quilt to call her own!

(Yes, she has Yorkie fur and very expressive Papillon ears)

Darcy makes friends everywhere she goes.

She met Scooter on a walk in her neighborhood.
 (he's the same age but weighs 55 pounds to her 8 pounds) 

The two puppies spent 25 minutes romping and playing together.

I've seen the video - it was awesome!

The quilt has now been tested and approved.

* * *

Welcome to the family, Darcy!


Monday, October 20, 2014

Choose Your Own BlockAlong - Post 3

This week's blocks (really segments) involved a LOT of seams!

I made six sets of WOF strata using 
five pairs of scrappy light/dark 1.25" strips plus one extra light.

(the strata strings were cut from leftover quilt backing,
and other leftovers from the resource box)

Once pieced and pressed, the strata were cross-cut into 3.5" segments.

Each 3.5" segment was then bordered on both long sides
using a random mix of three different "red" prints.

* * *

Wonderfully scrappy results 

but production-style work like this

can . . .

 be . . .

b . . . o . . . r . . . i . . . n . . . g . . .

* * *

Here are all of the 8.5" x 5" segments,
stacked up and ready for layout.

* * *

By next week's post,
I really want to have this flimsy sewn together . . .

(you can see my previous posts for this project HERE and HERE)

* * *

Linking up with the others at Live a Colorful Life.

CLICK HERE to see what they've been up to this week.


Saturday, October 18, 2014

Scrappy Saturday - Brown No. 3

This week, I cut the squares and triangles
for the project I've named Fruit Loops.

Because of the black and white that will be used,
I had to be careful with the brown . . .

Here are the brown geese 
hanging out with turquoise, pink, and yellow.

These guys I really like.

* * *

card by Papyrus

And, before I forget to share it,
isn't this just the coolest thank you card?

Our newly-married nephew and his bride
sent this after opening their wedding quilt . . .


* * *

Linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

CLICK HERE to see what the others have been up to this week!


Friday, October 17, 2014

Drunkard's Path QAL - Post 2

I used the 8 test blocks shared last week
and turned them into a free motion quilted runner.

Scrappy in EVERY way . . .
fabrics (front and back) from the resource boxes,
leftover binding, plus
four small pieces of batting zig-zagged together!

In order to bring things up to size, 
I inserted a 2.5" strip of this wild print into my backing.


Here is the finished runner - the front.

This is the finished back view.

Measures 13.5" wide x 34" long.

Fits perfectly on top of my grandfather's cedar chest.
(we use it instead of a coffee table in the living room)

This one counts as No. 63 for my ongoing 101 Scrap/Stash project goal.

* * *

Now, moving right along . . . 

It occurred to me that I haven't shown my die cutter
since it first arrived in December 2013.

The blocks shown are 1/2 of the pieces I cut for a lap quilt.
using the larger Accuquilt GO! DP die (7" finished block).

These are the other 1/2 of the 7" blocks for the lap quilt.

Note:  In order for the GO! dies to cut properly,
we adjusted the tray bed's height by inserting a
thin sheet of aluminum.

Works like a charm!

* * *

Next step will be to pair the fabrics 
so they are ready for stitching.

 * * *

Linking up with the others traveling along Vicki's DP quilt-along.

Click HERE to see what the others are working on!


Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Granny Smith - The Quilt

Granny Smith is finished!

Measures 53" x 73"

If you are wondering about the quilt's name . . . 

Quilted by Chris Ballard.

(Swirly Gig panto and Oyster Shell thread)

You can read about my process HERE and HERE . . . 

I used more of the wonderful brown Cosmos fabric for binding.
(see also the narrow sashing strips)

And check out the oversize four patch back!

* * *

Granny Smith,  Tickled Pink and Summer Sorbet,
have been shipped off to Michigan
where all 3 will be gifted to extended family members later on this year.

* * *

When I updated my spreadsheet,
Granny Smith became quilt finish number 245 !!

(does NOT include 24+double-sided placemats,  12+ quilted pillows, 
or the 85+ Priority Quilts I made for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative)


Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Maybe . . . Maybe Not . . .

My heart says "yes" . . .

My calendar and conscience are saying "no" . . .

[Deep breath]

I grew up in Michigan . . .

My family visited Mackinac Island more than a few times,
taking the ferry across the straights,
hearing the sea gulls scream as they followed behind,
walking everywhere (no cars allowed), and
watching the making of the Island's famous fudge
with an occasional free sample.

The opulent Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island
was Bonnie's inspiration for this  . . .

[Deep breath]

I do NOT want to make an 88" x 88" quilt . . .

[Deep breath]

However . . .

[Deep breath]

I may end up playing along . . .

[Deep breath]

I can use my pieces and parts to make a lap quilt . . .

[Deep breath]

And I do love the colors in the scrappiness pulled from my stash . . .

[Deep breath]

Stay tuned . . .